Smoky Chipotle Hanger Steak & Avocado Salsa
This Mexican-inspired steak recipe is bursting with fresh ingredients. Prized for its flavour, the hanger steak is tenderised in a lime and chipotle rub, giving it a fantastic kick. Served with a chunky avocado salsa with lots of fresh chilli and coriander, this recipe is delicious loaded up with black beans, tortilla chips and sour cream.
1 hanger steak is enough for 4 small steaks (ask the butcher to remove the membrane for you)
For the marinade
Juice and zest of 2 limes
2 tbsp chipotle rub
2 tbsp oil
For the avocado salsa
4 tbsp lime juice
1 small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 Spanish red chilli, seeds removed and finely diced
3 salad tomatoes, finely diced
2 ripe avocados, finely diced
To make the steak
1. Combine the marinade ingredients and massage into the meat. After removing the steak from the marinade, reserve any remaining juices to add to the pan later. Cover the meat and leave for up to two hours, then remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking.
2. Heat a dry skillet pan until lightly smoking. Add the meat, searing both sides, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Add the remaining marinade to the pan, basting the meat as it cooks.
3. Cook the steak until it reaches an internal temperature of 52°C for rare, 60°C for medium or 71°C for well done.
4. Allow to rest before carving.
To make the avocado salsa
1. Gently mix all the ingredients together.
2. Season to taste.
Serve with slices of the steak, black beans, sour cream and nachos.
You might also like: