Herb Crusted Pork Medallions with Cauliflower & Tahini Salad
Pork loin is a lean cut of meat, which means that if you’re not careful it can end up dry. Cooking it to temperature will ensure it stays nice and tender. In this recipe the medallions are pan fried in oil and fresh herbs, then drizzled with a delicious buttery sauce. Served with a light, nutty cauliflower salad and a tart tahini dressing, this meal packs some incredible flavour.
For the pork
4 pork medallions
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
100ml white cooking wine
25g salted butter
Dijon mustard, to serve
For the cauliflower salad
1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
80g dried apricots, cut into small slices
80g whole almonds, toasted and cut into small pieces
1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
For the tahini dressing
3 tbsp tahini
4 tbsp warm water
1 lemon, juiced
Dried garlic, to taste
To make the pork
1. Mix 4 tbsp of vegetable oil with the rosemary and thyme, then season.
2. Remove medallions from the fridge and add to the herb oil. Set aside for 20 minutes to bring up to room temperature, turning the meat over in the oil a few times.
3. Heat a frying pan until smoking, then add the medallions straight from the bowl including the herb oil.
4. Cook, for a few minutes each side, until the meat is browned and reaches 72°C.
5. Remove the meat and set to one side.
6. In the same pan add the wine and the butter to create a sauce from the juices. Move the pan in circular motions until the butter has melted.
7. Pour the sauce over the pork.
To make the cauliflower
1. Preheat the oven 180°C/ 160°C fan / gas 4.
2. Spread the cauliflower florets on a baking tray, add the vegetable oil and scatter over the cumin seeds.
3. Roast for around 20/30 minutes until golden brown, checking regularly and turning once.
4. In a bowl combine the chopped apricots, toasted almonds, fresh herbs and cooked cauliflower.
5. For the dressing add the tahini and lemon juice to a bowl. Whisk well then slowly add the water until the mix has the consistency of double cream. Add garlic and salt to suit your taste.
6. Pour generously over the cauliflower salad and serve with the pork and some Dijon mustard.
You might also like: