Baked Toffee Apple & Ginger Brioche & Butter Pudding
As Autumn draws in, is there any better combination of food than sweet bread, soft apples, caramel and custard? We think not, which is why we cooked up this ultimate comfort pud in the Thermapen kitchen with Brighton-based chef Laura Tulloch. The perfect dessert to enjoy on a cosy night in around Halloween and Bonfire Night, this baked toffee apple and ginger brioche and butter pudding is sweet, creamy and filling, with a hint of heat from the ginger. Ensure to heat the caramel to 118°C – 120°C to make your sauce the perfect pourable consistency.
4 small dessert apples, peeled, cut into slim pieces, and left in cold water with a squeeze of lemon (to preserve the colour)
1 400g brioche loaf, crusts removed and cut into fingers or triangles
For the custard
2 free-range eggs
350ml full-fat milk
50ml double cream
½ tsp of vanilla essence (or to taste)
For the caramel
200g light muscovado sugar
100g unsalted butter
125ml double cream
125ml full-fat milk
2 tsp grated root ginger
1. Firstly, make the custard by gently warming the milk and cream in a saucepan. Do not let it boil. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and lightly whisk until pale. Add the warm milk mixture and gently stir, mixing in the vanilla.
2. Butter an ovenproof dish. Put in a layer of apple then a layer of brioche, followed by more apple pieces, and then more brioche. Finish with a few pieces of apple.
3. Pour the custard over the brioche and apples. Gently push down on the pudding.
4. Heat the oven to 140°C/ 120°C fan/ gas 1.
5. Put the pudding in the oven and cook for 1 hour. Check the internal temperature with your Thermapen, ensuring it has reached 70°C.
6. To make the caramel, combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over a low heat, whisking constantly until thickened. Remove once the internal temperature reaches 118°C – 120°C (the hotter the caramel gets the more brittle it will become — we want to be able to pour the sauce).
7. Pour the caramel over the cooked pudding and place under a grill for few minutes. Cook until golden, watching closely as it can cook quickly. Enjoy a slice with some extra caramel sauce or some cream.
You might also like: