Asian-Style Steamed Pork Burgers with Poke Marinaded Vegetables
This Asian-inspired burger is the perfect combination of sweet, spicy and umami flavours. Juicy steamed pork patties meet sweet mirin caramelised onions, crunchy poke marinated vegetables and a generous dollop of sriracha mayo inside a soft sesame seed bun. A fun and flavoursome twist on your ordinary cheeseburger.
For this recipe we used pork mince which must be cooked through to 72°C. You can mix the meats by adding chicken or turkey, just ensure to take the temperature up to 74°C.
For the burgers
800g minced meat (7oz burgers)
1 thumb grated ginger (approx 15g)
½ tsp ground white pepper
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
Splash of oil
1 vegetable or chicken stock cube
For the caramelised onions
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp vegetable or rapeseed oil
4 tbsp mirin
For the poke vegetables
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp honey
1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
Seeded burger buns
To make the burgers
1. Knead together the meat, ginger, spring onions, pepper and a pinch of salt. Shape into four patties and leave to one side.
2. Boil a pan of water. Add the stock cube and a splash of oil (the oil helps to stop the burgers sticking to the steamer).
3. Pop the burgers into the steamer and place the steamer onto the pan of boiling water. Turn down to a simmer.
4. After 15 minutes gently lift the lid of the steamer, holding the lid away from you to protect yourself from the steam, and turn the burgers over.
5. Continue to steam until the burgers reach an internal temperature of 72°C.
To make the caramelised onions
1. Pour the oil into a small saucepan, add the onions and allow to gently cook.
2. Once the onions to start to take on a colour, start adding the mirin one spoon at a time. Allow it to reduce, add a splash of water and keep adding mirin to taste. Cook until the onions are cooked through and keep adding water if the pan sticks.
3. Once cooked leave to one side.
To make the poke vegetables
1. Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and honey.
2. Add the vegetables to the poke sauce, allow to stand for 30 minutes.
Now all the elements are ready the burger can be assembled. Combine sriracha sauce and mayonnaise and spread a thick layer onto the bun, before topping with the poke vegetables, burger patty and onions.
You might also like: